Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Sticky Question - by Brad

Some scrapbooker or 80's sticker collector should know the answer to this question...

Is there a term for the discarded portion of a sticker? If so, what is it?

You know, the wax-papery stuff from which the sticker is peeled. The discarded shards of a band-aid. The backing for self-adhesive postal stamps. Does anybody know this?


Peaby said...

Wow. What goes on in your head??

Darling Gwendy said...

I've always just referred to it as "backing", and upon doing a search for "sticker backing", it appears I'm not alone. :)

Brad said...

Hmmm. Maybe you're right. Well that isn't very exciting!

I was hoping for an interesting word like "reppletrab". Doesn't that sound right?

"First, remove the sticker from the reppletrab. Next, place the sticker on your forehead and discard the reppletrab."

Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for "sticker backing" instead.

Janet said...

My boy, you make me smile.

Gail said...

If only an 80s stickers collector or scrap booker had some knowledge. (I guess I haven't been on the blog sites for a while.) Glad you aren't sitting around bored, my brother.

carol said...

"Backing" or "Release Paper"

"Understanding The Vinyl Sticker
This sticker is in three parts:
1. The top layer is called the Application Tape
2. The middle layer is the final product.
3. The bottom layer is called the backing or Release paper."

This comes from a website that seems to sell vinyl stickers of naked women...I have no reason to doubt the truthfulness of what they say. I'm not including the link...