Monday, January 30, 2006

Mistakes - by Brad

Ever since we started building our house in 2004, I have looked longingly at the large hill behind our house. I have hiked up to Castlerock a few times, but I have never really explored the whole hill. With the dry (and above freezing) weather we have had for the last few days, this weekend I got that chance.

On Saturday, Elliott and I went on a walk that turned into a hike. We walked up the street to where the road ends and he wanted to go closer. So we started heading up the steep face along some deer trails. Just minutes into the hike, we found a three-point deer antler that had just recently been shed. Elliott carried this for the rest of the hike. He made numerous comments about the deer poop that littered the hill side. Such as “deer poop are ovals, but my poop…” I will spare the details. Anyway, he was a trooper. Although we did not make it all the way up to the top of Castlerock, we made quite a ways up.

Then on Sunday, I was feeling adventurous, so I decided to hike up the left ridge to the top of the hill, and then back down on across the front of Castlerock. Well, the hike up was much steeper than anticipated. Right as I started, I spooked up 20 deer from a ravine below me, and they watched me as I made my climb. Once at the top, I took out my camera and took a few pictures of the Wenatchee Valley hoping for a good panoramic picture.

This was my first mistake.

Here is the picture... warning, it is rather large...

After a few minutes I decided to head down. So, I started prancing down the hill like a deer… like a deer with serious problems.

This was my second mistake.

I was nearly back to the road when I realized that I did not have my camera with me. Apparently I forgot to zip up my coat pocket. With my legs beat from the steep hike up, and now beat from the jarring jog down, I had a decision to make. Do I head back up the hill now (not knowing if I would even find the camera), or do I go back up tomorrow?

Well, I decided to head back up the hill. I ended up going about half-way back up to the top when I notice the camera case about 20 yards off the ridge where I came down. I am thankful that Lindsey bought the case with bright orange details! I was happy with my decision at about 6:00 that evening when it started snowing hard. This morning about 3 inches of new snow cover the hill.

1 comment:

Peaby said...

Good job Brad! Now...when are you going to start running up that hill?